This week, the FBFF questions are all about locational influences- how your location does or does not influence the way you dress. This has come up once before in this post and I’m excited to tackle these questions!
View from the rooftop garden of The Met
1. What part of the world do you blog from? (feel free to be as specific or as vague as you are comfortable with.) Well, as you may or may not know, I moved to NYC in mid-June, so I’m currently blogging from here. I first started my blog when I was still in college in Connecticut, so I blogged from there too [shout-out to my CT bloggers! :D]
2. If you had to describe the overall mode of dress for where you live what would you say? Well, there’s the cliche saying that, “New Yorkers only wear black,” which may very well be true! However, what I’ve noticed is that there is such a range! The other day, I saw this girl in what looked like a harajuku girl costume, which definitely stood out among all the other people who were more conventionally dressed. Another thing that totally makes a difference is neighborhood. In the area where I’m living now, people might be rockin’ a boho vibe, while up on 42nd Street near Grand Central, it’s all about the suits or business casual attire.
3. Do you fit in with the status quo around you or do you break the mold? I feel like it would be hard to break the mold in New York, but I think right now I’m probably somewhere in the middle. Not way out there nor super avant-garde.
4. If you have lived or traveled to another part of the country/world did your clothing choices evolve? As I mentioned in the post I linked to earlier, my clothing choices definitely change when I go back to my hometown. I feel like people are less experimental there, so I used to, in some ways, rein in what I wore. I’d even had people comment on my “East Coast style.” Also, sometimes when I was going into NYC from Connecticut, I felt pressure to spruce up my outfits- I was going to New York after all! Then I decided that I shouldn’t have to limit what I wear based on my location (other than practical concerns, of course) and that I should wear whatever I want to wear, wherever I am!
5. If you had to describe your style by naming a specific city, what would you be? Oh wow, this is so hard- I always have major problems when someone asks me to describe my style! How about this game? I’ll name some words that I think fit my style and you tell me what city makes sense! Girly, Casual Chic, Cardigan-Lover, Wears a lot of black (clearly I’m not good at this, haha!)
As usual, I’d love to hear your answers to any and all of these questions in the comments! :) Fashion Beauty Friend Friday was created by Katy Rose of Modly Chic. Become a member at the Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group to join in the discussion!
Also, I just wanted to thank you guys for your supportive comments on Wednesday’s post! I was so nervous about posting, but you guys drove all the nerves away :) Also, as far as the etsy shop, I think I’m going to go for it- so keep checking back here for updates! :D