So I’m quite excited to get back into the swing of FBFF with this year’s first set of questions! FBFF has been restructured a bit so that we’re only answering questions once a month, which I think will be much more manageable for me. This week we’re discussing new trends and what’s catching our eye right now!
Oasis Jumper, £48; Joe Fresh Marine Boatneck Top $19; Forever 21 skinny leg jeans, $16; Target Loafer Flat, $20; Avanessi rose gold jewelry, $350
1. With Fashion week just around the corner, we are all beginning to focus on the upcoming trends for fall. But what about the trends hitting stores now? What are you coveting? Some of the trends I’m loving right now are stripes, rose-gold accessories, colored denim, animal prints, and loafers! I added some stripes to my closet recently with the purchase of a Stylemint tee (the Broadway) but I could always use more stripes like this cute top from Joe Fresh. I’m also loving rose-gold accessories for the sweet, feminine touch they add to an outfit. Colored denim has been on my must purchase list for a while- I need to get on that! Animal prints (not talking leopard here, but animal animals, like cats, horses, birds and more!) have been huge for a while and I’m hoping to jump on the bandwagon with the adorable cat print scarf in the Jason Wu for Target collection. Lastly, I’ve been on a major loafers kick for the past couple of months! I first purchased a pair of blue velvet loafers from Lulu’s (which is adventurous for me) then I couldn’t resist snagging these studded ones by MIA shoes for half the price at TJ Maxx. Next on my list are those super cute pink snakeskin loafers from Target (pictured above)!
2. How do you incorporate new trends into your wardrobe? Since I’m on a pretty tight budget, I can’t afford to go out and buy every new trend as soon as I see it, so I usually wait a bit until I can score a good deal! When I can, I also like to look in awesome thrift stores like Saver’s and I might also be turning to Swap.com now too.
3. What trend are you seeing and not loving? Recently I’ve read a couple of articles about pajamas as outwear and I thought, “Huh?” Also, in this street style video, this guy is totally wearing pajamas and he has this whole philosophy about it (he’s toward the end if you want to watch). I’m just not buying it…
4. Do you feel the pressure to constantly update your closet with the latest trends? Yes and no. The answer is sometimes yes due to the fact that I’m not 100% happy with my wardrobe. I still have clothes that I’ve been hanging on to for too long for no good reason and I still think my wardrobe is a little on the young end. I’m trying to get rid of the skirts that are too mini and the shirts that are too small, and instead move toward a more sophisticated closet. I would love to always look chic and feel that I’m dressing my age.
When I first started blogging, I had this idea that as a fashion blogger, I had to post an outfit every single day, which means lots of clothes, right?! Well of course I soon discovered that there are no blogger police, and that this was not the case. I’ve definitely relaxed on that front and take outfit pictures when I can. In the meantime, I’ve enjoyed exploring other aspects of fashion when I don’t always have my own personal style pictures to post.
Also, finally being on my own and fully responsible for all of my finances has allowed me to understand something that my dad has been telling me for years- “You must live within your means.” I’ve had to become very money-conscious and learn that I can’t have everything that I want! Don’t get me wrong, I still spring for little things for myself or my friends from time to time, but I know that I’ve definitely gotten better at resisting the urge to shop shop shop! (P.S. I hereby release myself from this statement on Feb. 5th when I go bananas and buy up all the pretty pieces in the Jason Wu for Target collection ;)
Phew, guess had a lot to say about that! Long story short, yes, sometimes I want to be constantly updating my wardrobe with new, pretty things, but I’ve realized that that’s not always possible, and that’s OK!
5. Where do you find inspiration that takes the trend and makes it accessible to you and your personal taste? Oh, for this I definitely turn to my fellow bloggers! I love seeing how different people wear the same trend or the same item and it certainly gives me style inspiration! Case in point, when I first bought my blue velvet loafers, I wasn’t sure how to wear them, but then found this picture above, which has definitely given me ideas on what to pair them with :)
As usual, I’d love to hear your answers to any and all of these questions in the comments! :)