Fall Capsule Wardrobe: Shopping List

leopard coat, sea of shoes, fall shopping, fall outfit, chelsea boots, navy miniskirt, skirt and chelsea boots

After much deliberation, I think I’ve finally decided on the items that will form my fall capsule wardrobe. I’ve been editing this list for weeks and really thinking about how I’ll be able to wear and remix the items that I chose. I narrowed it down to 40 pieces (which includes clothing, shoes, and outerwear, but doesn’t include accessories, underwear, and loungewear). Once I have everything in my possession, I’d like to take pictures of each item to share here. In the meantime, I thought I’d let you guys know what’s on my shopping list.

– a trench coat. This trench from Uniqlo might just be the one.

– chelsea boots. I wanted these boots from Madewell so badly last season, but they are a bit pricy. I also like this version from Topshop, but it’s now out of stock (boo).

– black flats. I’m looking for a pair with an almond toe and a little extra detail. I really liked the design of this pair that I bought in spring, but they were just so uncomfortable that I had to let them go.

– a white tee. I need to replace mine and I like the essential v-neck tee from Gap.

– a graphic tee or sweatshirt. I already bought the maison des a.r.t.s sweatshirt from Madewell and I just love it.

– a burgundy sweater.

– a black cardigan.

– a gray cardigan (I’m eyeing this style at Uniqlo).

– a green army jacket. This has been on my list for several seasons and maybe this year I’ll find the one I’m looking for. Maybe it’s this one from Old Navy?

– a black skirt. I’m not sure yet if I want it to be pleated or full or a-line, but I like this Topshop skirt, this wrap skirt from Aritzia, and this zip skirt from Mango.

– a gray skirt.

– a faux-leather skirt.

– a gray dress. I like this classic style from Uniqlo.

– a black dress. This midi length LBD from Joe Fresh would be different for me, but I can picture a lot of different ways to style it.

– a grey-and-white striped tee.

– black slip-on sneakers. I’m completely a sneaker convert now. I love the texture on this version from Aeropostale and I’ve already added them to my closet.

If you have any suggestions or recommendations for these items, I’d love to hear them in the comments below. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

(image via)

Comments

Such a good idea about getting your list for your Fall wardrobe ahead of time! I need to do that, so that I’m not always caught in the moment of buying everything and anything lol! (and most of what I don’t wear anyway) It’s good to stick with the basics – things that can last! Yes, must have a burgundy sweater! And I plan on keeping with the trend of greys..and maybe some camel pieces? Now you’ve got me thinking of my own list :) Happy Friday, Nnenna! Let’s hang out soon!

Thank you Jessica :) I’m trying to be a lot more intentional with my purchases. Now that I’ve made my list, the hard thing will be sticking to it, or if I add one thing to the list, realizing that I need to subtract another.

For my colors, I think I’ll have a lot of black, white, navy, burgundy, gray, and maybe olive green? I hope you had a good weekend Jessica and let’s definitely hang soon. Text me, or I’ll text you! :)

2. SHE Jenmarie says

You put together a good list! I’ve wanted to get a trench coat for the longest time. I think your list of basics is good. I was going to say “Hey, what about a scarf?” but then remembered it didn’t include accessories. Ha!

Thank you! I had a trench coat that I bought in college and now it needs to be replaced. I definitely got *a lot* of wear out of it though. Yes, accessories are separate :) I’ll be relying on accessories to help mix things up!

Okay, I’m really behind on blog-reading so I apologize in advance if I do a small bit of comment spamming. ;) I love that you’re doing a capsule wardrobe for the fall. My ultimate closet goal is to stop binge-shopping on clearance racks and to have a wardrobe of meaningful pieces rather than it-was-cheap-and-trendy. (I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought trends – like Peter Pan collars – that I think are so stinking cute on other women but just look horrible on me. So of course I never wear them!)

I got a similar trench last year (Calvin Klein at Macy’s) and I’m so thrilled with it – definitely one of those classic pieces I’ll have for a long time. (And it makes me feel like Audrey a la Breakfast at Tiffany’s when I wear it. Of course.)

Oh, and we have a Uniqlo coming out here to CT soon – I can’t wait!

Yes, that’s my goal too! It’s something I’ve been wanting to do for ages and particularly working on this year. I’m learning that it’s a process (i.e. I won’t have the perfect wardrobe overnight). I’ll still probably make some mistakes with my purchases, but that’s ok, as long as I learn from them. I want a wardrobe full of classic pieces, and maybe just a few trendier items. I haven’t shopped at Uniqlo in a while, but I’m planning to go to their store soon. I forgot how affordable their clothes are!