The official start of summer is right around the corner (although in my mind summer kicks off on Memorial Day weekend)! Today I thought it would be fun to join the linkup hosted by The B Bar and talk about my summer essentials. The B Bar is a great blog with resources and tips for bloggers and it’s run by Meg and Victoria (whose blog is one of my all-time favorites).
There’s just something special about summer, you know? When I was in school, summer of course signified the opportunity for a long, extended break. Now that I’m older, it’s a time for picnics in the park, Summer Fridays, reading outdoors, and living in my cutoffs.
Let’s talk about some of my summer essentials:
– Denim shorts: Last summer I found a pair of cutoffs at Gap on super sale, and I wore them nonstop. This particular pair fits me really well and I just find that they’re the easiest thing to throw on on toasty days. I think I’d like to add another pair to my rotation this summer.
– Sunglasses: If there is a hint of sunshine, chances are I’ll have my sunglasses on. I have a classic pair of aviators that I repurchased from H&M a few times over the past few years. Right now I’m loving this pretty rose gold pair.
– Summer reading: In the summer I like to indulge in lighter reads. I also think that because there’s less TV on during the summer, I tend to get more reading done. Two books I’m thinking about adding to my summer reading list are The Vacationers by Emma Straub (a book that I wanted to read last summer, but didn’t get to) and The Rocks by Peter Nichols.
– Iced coffee: Does this even need explanation? I think not.
– Sandals: Each summer, there tends to be one pair of sandals that I completely mold to my feet and wear until they’re pretty much falling apart. Two summers ago, it was this pair from Target and last year I wore these studded sandals all the time. I need a new pair of everyday black sandals this summer and I just saw this lovely, simple pair pop up at Everlane. The price is much higher than I’ve ever spent on sandals, but perhaps they would last longer than a season?
– A bright lip: I’m relatively low-key when it comes to makeup and I feel that’s particularly true in the summer. It’s too hot to put a bunch of products on my face, but I do love to wear some mascara and a bold lip. I might thrown on a loose tee with my denim cutoffs, but then a bright lip makes it seem like I actually tried.
– Lightweight dresses: When it’s hot and humid, I typically have less energy and I don’t want to spend a ton of time thinking about what to wear in the mornings. That’s why dresses are so great- you just throw them on and go. I actually have a surprising lack of dresses in my closet right now. When I was putting together my capsule wardrobe last year, I donated several dresses that didn’t fit well or were too short. That purge left me with only a couple options, so now I think it’s time for me to acquire some pretty new dresses.
Don’t forget to check out the posts of other bloggers who are participating in the linkup below!
26 and Not Counting \\ Alyssa J Freitas \\ soak and simmer \\ The Not Quite Adult \\ Carrie Loves \\ The Yuppie Files \\ PRBlonde \\ Knowing Kelly \\ Something Good \\ Feathers and Stripes \\ Cassandra Monroe \\ Otherworldly \\ Sunny Side Up \\ Life Modifier \\ Leigh Clair \\ Rae Loves \\ Rose Colored Water \\ Rossetto \\ Fashion to a T \\ PreppyPanache \\ Emilie Lima Burke \\ Ember & March \\ Business Betties \\ with love from ellie \\ Mint Julep Girl \\ Love Peace and shimmer \\ Rae Everyday \\ Little Wild Heart \\ star-crossed smile \\ Luv in the Bubble \\ Perfect Enough For Us \\ LIFE BY BRI \\ Sorcha Eleanor \\ Brikasia \\ Dreams and Colour Schemes \\ Elana Lyn \\ Sequins & Strawberries \\ Pattern Me Pretty \\ Beauty and the Pitch \\ White Oak Creative \\ The Toppy Top \\ White Cabana \\ In The Grey \\ Taryn Williford \\ Cooper + Thames \\ Mrs. on the Move \\ Magnificent Temptations \\ Meg Biram \\ Victoria McGinley