It’s been about a month since I officially kicked off my fall capsule wardrobe, so I thought it was time for an update. First, let’s talk about the things I was still undecided on last time…
– I was trying to decide between my two faux leather jackets and in the end I found myself reaching for the collarless one each time. That made my decision pretty easy then- collarless one it is!
– I still haven’t picked up a gray skirt. I haven’t really been looking since I’ve been trying to avoid shopping for clothes in general, but I’m still sort of keeping one eye open. I have some holiday shopping to do over the next couple of months, so if a gray skirt catches my eye while I’m out and about, I’ll grab it.
– I decided to keep the leather skirt. I still only feel about 80% on it, but I wore it on my birthday and liked the way it looked, so I decided that it would stay for now.
So far, I have worn something outside my capsule once. I mentioned that my capsule doesn’t include heels because I really don’t wear them that often, but on my birthday I wanted to dress up a bit, so I pulled out my heeled black booties. Other than that, everything that I’ve been wearing out of the house has been from the capsule (at home I’m almost always lounging about in my PJs). Here are a few observations I’ve made in the first month of this experiment:
– It’s definitely made getting dressed in the mornings easier and about 90% of the time I feel good about my outfit. It may not be anything flashy, but I feel comfortable and like I’m decently put together. There are a few outfits that I’ve worn and didn’t feel great about, but those are learning experiences and the next time I’ll try styling those pieces differently.
– At this point, I’d say my most worn pieces are my black striped tee, black cardigan, graphic sweatshirt, black jeggings, trench coat (similar), black flats and chelsea boots. I wear my trench pretty much everyday and if I can’t figure out what to wear, I automatically reach for my Madewell sweatshirt (I’m so glad cute sweatshirts are a thing now). The black flats I’ve been wearing are actually my old black flats, not these ones. I tried to wear the new ones once, but they just felt so small. I’m not sure what’s going on- this is the second time I’ve bought flats that felt fine at the store, but were way too small when I got home.
– So far, I’ve worn everything at least once, except for the white button-down, black blazer and black dress (similar). I’ve put on the white button-down a few times, but I usually end up swapping it out for something else. It always feels a bit too buttoned up- I wish it had a more relaxed fit like my polka dot button-down. The black dress I haven’t worn yet because I’ve been too lazy to iron it (no joke, need to get on that!) and the black blazer also feels too serious most days. I want to try pairing it with sneakers and a plain tee for a casual Friday look.
– Now that the temperatures are starting to drop into the 40s and lower, I wish I had a few more sweaters in my capsule. What I might end up doing next month is swapping out a few of the lighter/sleeveless tops for sweaters. I anticipate carrying over most of these clothes into winter, so it will just be about switching things out for warmer layers and stocking up on cold-weather accessories.
Tell me: Are you still shopping for fall or have you moved on to winter?
Sometime in the last few years, I became a beauty person. I still don’t wear a ton of makeup, but that doesn’t stop me from watching hours on end of beauty videos. My favorite beauty products are definitely nail polish and lipstick (I’ve come to the conclusion that you can never have too many of either). I keep a list of items I’d like to try at some point and these four picks are at the top of my list.
L’Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Amber Rush- Sometimes I just want to go into full-on glitter mode. This color is so sparkly and pretty. I think it would be fun to use it for a holiday party look.
Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain- I’d heard a few people rave about this lip stain, so a few months ago I went and swatched this in the store. At first, I was not a fan, so I left it behind. I went back to Sephora a few weeks ago and gave it another try and my opinion of it did a complete 180. The problem was that I didn’t let it dry the first time. It starts out rather glossy, but then dries down to a lovely matte red color. Every time I see Lily Pebbles wear it, I’m like “Yep, I need this lip color in my life.” I left it behind again, but that’s only because I splurged on the next item on this list. I plan to get this eventually so I can test it out properly!
NARS Audacious Lipstick- I mentioned in my last beauty post that I picked up this lipstick in the color Charlotte. I’m still in love with it. So in love, in fact, that I want all of the other colors. Ok, maybe not all of them, but a lot of them. At $32 a pop, they’re not exactly cheap, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I picked up at least one more. I’m not sure which color yet though- I guess I’ll have to back to Sephora and swatch them all (it’s a tough job, but someone has to do it – wink wink). If I get my act together, I may pop up a Beauty Fave/review type post on this lipstick.
Urban Decay Naked Palette- I don’t own any of the Naked palettes, even though I know these are holy grail products in the beauty community. One of the first beauty products I ever bought for myself was a Sephora Collection eyeshadow palette. I haven’t used most of the colors in that palette, but I still look at that set with a certain fondness. These days I don’t usually bother with eyeshadow, but the other day I was getting glammed up for my birthday and I did the whole shebang on my eyes- eyeshadow, liner and mascara (I almost went for falsies but I was operating on a time crunch). It was really fun to play with my makeup and now I’d like to upgrade to a palette of pretty eyeshadows in colors I’d actually wear. Now the question is, which Naked Palette? Or should I go for the Lorac Pro Palette, which I’ve also seen people rave about?
Tell me: Have you tried any of these products?
Remember this post? I’ve been pretty sporadic about making meals at home since then, except for the past few weeks when I’ve cooked more than once each week. I’ve been trying a few new recipes, so I thought I’d share the ones I liked.
– Good Old-Fashioned Pancakes (image via): This recipe is not new to me; I’ve been using it for months. I tried it one day after my friend Smita tweeted the link. If you follow me on Instagram, you may know that I eat pancakes almost every weekend. If I’m not making them at home, it’s probably because I’m out ordering them for brunch. These are pancakes from scratch and they’re still very easy and very tasty.
– Thai Beef with Basil: Asian-style recipes are my favorite to make at home and I tried this one for the first time yesterday. Again, this one was super easy and the fragrance/taste of the basil was yummy.
– Jambalaya: I love a one-pot recipe. For this one, you just slowly add in all the ingredients and then let the whole thing simmer for 30ish minutes. Easy peasy and delicious. I didn’t have any shrimp when I tried this, so I eliminated that, and I definitely put in a bit too much spicy creole seasoning for my taste. In the end I just powered through with several glasses of water because it still tasted pretty great.
Tell me: Have you tried any good recipes recently?
It’s natural to feel a little reflective on your birthday. I remember when 25 seemed like such a faraway age. I thought by 25 I’d be all grown up, a real “adult.” I thought I would have figured out what I want to do and who I want to be for the rest of my life. Well, that’s not exactly true. I’ve learned over the years that the picture in your head doesn’t always match up to real life and that’s ok. Dreams and goals will change over time and (hopefully) things will slowly start to fall into place.
Today I’m thankful for the good things I have in my life: a family who loves and supports me, good friends who will send me hilarious emails about treggings or watch 10 episodes of Gilmore Girls in a row with me, a bedroom that’s my sanctuary, in an apartment in one of the best cities in the world. I’m also thankful for the little things: savoring a cafe au lait donut, the sunlight streaming through my window, this blogging hobby that I still love after four years, being able to get away with no tights in November, and a kitty who will leap up onto the couch and curl up sweetly in my lap.
Hello 25, it’s nice to meet you. I’m looking forward to seeing what you have in store.
Watch my latest video!
Shop till you drop!All material on starcrossedsmile.com is copyrighted and all photographs are taken by me unless stated otherwise. If you would like to use any of my photographs for non-commercial purposes, please credit me by linking back to my blog. Thanks! © 2010-2014 starcrossedsmile.com