Sometime over the last few years, getting things for my home or kitchen has become nearly as exciting as getting new clothes or books. It really takes time to turn a house (or apartment) into a home and it’s fun to add your own little personal touches. I like to switch up the decor in my room from time to time and I’m slowly building up my baking tools (next on my list- a donut pan). These are a few fun gift ideas that I think many people would be happy to receive for their home and/or kitchen. I mentioned that I had a bunch of ideas for gift guides, but I think I’m aiming to do about five in total, so there might be a few more combo guides like this one. As usual, everything in this guide is under $75!
01. Lace Gold Frame 02. Metal Basket 03. Jordan Carlyle Feathered Pillow 04. Trinket Tray 05. Initial Candle 06. Faceted Vessel- Live Bright 07. Geometry Espresso Cups 08. More Please! Metallic Salad Servers 09. But First Coffee Mug (need this) 10. Ceramic Cutting Board 11. Star Cookie Cutter Set 12. Donna Hay: The New Classics 13. Ho Ho Ha Coasters 14. Emily Henry Pie Dish
You guys, advertising is no joke. One week ago, I’d never heard of Outlander and although it’s way too early to make this call, I’d say I’m hooked on the show. And I just bought the book too!
In case you haven’t heard of it, Outlander is a new TV series based on a series of books by Diana Gabaldon. The main character, Claire, is a nurse during World War II, and after the war ends, she and her husband take a trip to Scotland in order to reconnect. One afternoon when she is exploring some old ruins, she accidentally transports herself back in time and ends up in the middle of a battle between the Scots and the Brits. Of course she’s terrified and right now she’s trying to figure out what the hell just happened. She’s already met a handsome Scottish man named Jamie and saved his life… What can I say? I love historical fiction/period pieces, and I’m a sucker for some romance as well.
As I’ve mentioned, I just found out about this series and so far all I know is what I’ve seen in the first episode (which you can stream for free on Starz right now). Right away, I fell in love with Claire’s 1940s style. Costumes are one of the best parts about period pieces, right? I thought it would be fun to take some of clothes she’s worn so far and give them a modern twist. If Claire was walking around right now in the year 2014, what would she wear (WWSW)? From what I’ve seen, she likes classically feminine pieces in neutral colors. However, she’s also not afraid to throw in some masculine elements as well, such as trousers, coats with strong shoulders, and oxfords.
Tell me: Have you guys seen the show or read the book(s)?
– It was so hard to resist shopping when I saw J. Crew’s new arrivals. This silk sleeveless blouse seems like something I’d wear over and over again.
– This star necklace- *insert heart-eye emoji here*.
– I think this colorblock chiffon shirt is so pretty. It’s another top that could do double duty- for work and for weekends.
– Give me all the starry things, including this button-down shirt.
– Pineapple print is the novelty print of the season and this mini-skirt version is so cute.
– Scallop-hem shorts? Yes please!
– Say hello the summer version of the chambray shirt.
Tell me: What’s on your wishlist right now?
I don’t know about where you live, but here in NYC we’ve been experiencing a lot of thunderstorms lately. I kind of like drifting off to the sound of rain at night, but they’re not so fun when they’re surprise thunderstorms and you’re caught without your umbrella! I feel like the tropical print trend fits in really well with this weather- when it’s monsoon season in the tropics, the rains can stop and start suddenly without warning. There are so many variations on this theme and today I’m sharing a few of my favorite picks.
Tell me: How do you feel about tropical print? Would you wear it?
Watch my latest video!
Shop till you drop!All material on starcrossedsmile.com is copyrighted and all photographs are taken by me unless stated otherwise. If you would like to use any of my photographs for non-commercial purposes, please credit me by linking back to my blog. Thanks! © 2010-2014 starcrossedsmile.com