Here’s the first outfit that only features pieces from my fall capsule wardrobe! I wore this look on a blustery, but sunny day of sightseeing with my sister.
I’ve had this trench for several years now. I bought it from Target for around $50 when I was in college and this year I was considering upgrading to a nicer version. In order to cut costs though, I decided to have this coat dry cleaned and I also had a tailor fix a large rip that was on the side. Now it looks almost new and it will do just fine until I can afford to replace it.
This Madewell sweatshirt was the first piece I bought for my fall capsule and probably the item I’ve worn the most so far. It’s so easy to throw on and I’ve worn it both to work (my office is quite casual) and on the weekend. I love the French text and the graphic lettering.
Up until a few weeks ago, I’d never walked over the Brooklyn Bridge. It was on my list of things I want to do in NYC eventually and having my sister here was the perfect excuse to cross it off. The view was pretty spectacular and on the day we went, it wasn’t as crowded as I feared it would be. Also, it didn’t take as long as I thought it would and I’m hoping I’ll stroll across that bridge a few more times in the near future.
Outfit Details: Target trench coat, Madewell maison des a.r.t.s. sweatshirt, American Eagle black hi-rise jeggings, Sam Edelman Petty boots, Fossil Erin Satchel | Lips- Rimmel London Lasting Finish Lipstick- Kate Moss Collection in 01 | photos of me- my sister
It’s been a little while since my last capsule wardrobe update so I thought I’d show you guys a few of the things I’ve bought so far. There were certain items on my list that I’d seen online and wanted to check out in stores, many of which I did not end up purchasing. In most of those cases, the fit wasn’t what I wanted it to be or I didn’t like it as much in person. I did get the four items above though and I’m pretty excited about them.
Here’s what’s left on my list:
– burgundy sweater (I think I’ve settled on a pullover style that’s cropped.)
– black v-neck cardigan (Just a basic cardigan with long sleeves that hits me at the waist. The options I’ve checked out so far have been too long or too scratchy.)
– gray v-neck cardigan (same as above)
– black pleated skirt (Still not entirely sure what shape I’m going for yet, but I was thinking possibly a wrap skirt.)
– gray skirt (Again, not set on the shape yet, but I want it to be different from whichever black skirt I get.)
– solid gray dress (Something basic that I can style several ways. I’m considering this dress from LOFT.)
I’ve seen some options for the items above, but they weren’t exactly what I was looking for, so I’m still on the hunt. I am being pretty picky, but I think that makes sense because I will be wearing these same clothes for three months.
Tell me: Have you bought any fall clothes or accessories recently?
After much deliberation, I think I’ve finally decided on the items that will form my fall capsule wardrobe. I’ve been editing this list for weeks and really thinking about how I’ll be able to wear and remix the items that I chose. I narrowed it down to 40 pieces (which includes clothing, shoes, and outerwear, but doesn’t include accessories, underwear, and loungewear). Once I have everything in my possession, I’d like to take pictures of each item to share here. In the meantime, I thought I’d let you guys know what’s on my shopping list.
– a trench coat. This trench from Uniqlo might just be the one.
– black flats. I’m looking for a pair with an almond toe and a little extra detail. I really liked the design of this pair that I bought in spring, but they were just so uncomfortable that I had to let them go.
– a white tee. I need to replace mine and I like the essential v-neck tee from Gap.
– a graphic tee or sweatshirt. I already bought the maison des a.r.t.s sweatshirt from Madewell and I just love it.
– a burgundy sweater.
– a black cardigan.
– a gray cardigan (I’m eyeing this style at Uniqlo).
– a green army jacket. This has been on my list for several seasons and maybe this year I’ll find the one I’m looking for. Maybe it’s this one from Old Navy?
– a gray skirt.
– a faux-leather skirt.
– a gray dress. I like this classic style from Uniqlo.
– a black dress. This midi length LBD from Joe Fresh would be different for me, but I can picture a lot of different ways to style it.
– a grey-and-white striped tee.
– black slip-on sneakers. I’m completely a sneaker convert now. I love the texture on this version from Aeropostale and I’ve already added them to my closet.
If you have any suggestions or recommendations for these items, I’d love to hear them in the comments below. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Did I mention that I’ve been living in these cut-off denim shorts? This has been my summer uniform: a top + cutoffs + comfy shoes, and then I’m out the door. I definitely wanted to be comfortable because yesterday my roomie and I spent the day running errands around town. Usually I’m all about having the laziest Sunday, but this weekend I wanted to pick up a few things for the apartment. We may have chosen one of the worst weekends to run our errands though… Turns out it was NYU move-in day!
Outfit Details: Madewell striped tee, Gap shorts, Aeropostale Metallic Slip-On Shoe (c/o), H&M sunglasses and rings, Fossil Erin Satchel (via Macy’s), Lips- Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm in Standout, Nails- Rimmel Salon Pro in Hip Hop | photos- my roomie
Watch my latest video!
Shop till you drop!All material on starcrossedsmile.com is copyrighted and all photographs are taken by me unless stated otherwise. If you would like to use any of my photographs for non-commercial purposes, please credit me by linking back to my blog. Thanks! © 2010-2014 starcrossedsmile.com