It’s my favorite time of year- the holiday season! Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, I can officially get into the holiday spirit. Every year, I look forward to the parties and gatherings that happen around this time of year. Sadly, this year I’ll be missing a couple of work parties because I’m heading back to CA, but I am planning to go to my friend’s tree-trimming party this month. I wanted to round up a few dress ideas for those who’ve also got a few holiday parties on their calendar this month.
Did you all have a nice weekend? I had a very relaxing weekend- it was wonderful. I didn’t really do much of anything but it was so nice to have some alone time and just hibernate a bit. I watched a lot of TV/movies, put up some twinkle lights, made an apple pie, started working on my Christmas card list, and did a bit of reading. It felt like a taste of the Christmas break that’s coming up. Just another 2.5 weeks to get through!
Tell me: Are you hosting a holiday party this year or do you plan to attend one?
01. Jeweled Cami Dress 02. Scuba Lace Detail Dress 03. Eyelash Lace Strapless Dress 04. Delicate Lace Gathered Dress 05. Shift Dress in Geo Sequins 06. Burgundy Backless Midi Dress 07. Rose Pattern Fit & Flare Dress 08. Sequined Skater Dress
We’ve reached that point in the year where it’s time to start bundling (remind me again how we got to November so quickly?). I’m thinking about finally replacing my winter coat this season, so I’ve been keeping my eye out for some stylish and affordable options. Here are 10 coats that I’m loving, from top to bottom:
02. ‘Emma’ Menswear Coat- I’m totally digging this borrowed-from-the-boys option.
03. Long Bouclé Coat- I’ve always secretly wanted a white coat, even though they’re not very practical. Plus Olivia Pope made white coats so popular, and who doesn’t want to be Olivia Pope?
04. New Look Funnel Coat- I like the idea of having a pastel colored coat and I think this icy blue is perfect for the colder months.
06. New Look Check Collarless Coat- This coat is just adorable. Actually, I’d like that entire outfit the model is wearing, please and thank you.
07. New Look Checked Coat- I also like this darker checked coat. You know what, I think I’d like a scarf version of this coat!
08. Faux Leather-Trimmed Marled Coat- Love the leather accents, love the marled texture, love the price.
09. Skirted Wool Blend Coat- I think skirted coats are so ladylike and pretty.
10. Tinley Road Shades of Gray- So chic. I love that it incorporates two different shades of gray. It’s a fun detail, but the overall coat is still neutral and easy to wear.
Tell me: Which one is your favorite?
I love clothes that make it easy to get dressed. Not only is this top made out of a very comfy sweatshirt material, but it also has a pretty embellished neckline. I could have gone for a girly look, but on this day I decided to toughen it up a bit with my faux leather jacket and Chelsea boots.
My hair doesn’t look quite like this anymore. I had a hair appointment two weekends ago and I got longer extensions. With the colder weather, I just felt like I wanted long hair again. Speaking of cold weather, it was rather chilly this weekend. It might be time for me to dust off my old winter coat!
Outfit Details: Bagatelle faux leather jacket (via TJ Maxx), Piperlime collection sweatshirt (c/o), American Eagle black hi-rise jeggings, Topshop chelsea boots, Fossil Erin Satchel | Lips- Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick in 107 | photos of me- Alex
Ahhh, the midi skirt- such a pretty, ladylike style. I bought my first midi skirt from H&M a few years ago and I remember being nervous that I wouldn’t be able to pull off this trend. Just as with maxi skirts though, it’s all about finding the right length for your height. The skirt I bought was a lovely blush color in tulle and I immediately felt more ladylike as soon as I put it on (you can see me wearing it in this post from nearly 3 years ago!).
That skirt was a bit of an impulse buy and I thought I’d only wear it occasionally; however, I found that it was really easy to dress up and down and I wore it many times to work and at night. At some point a couple of years ago, I pulled it out of my closet one morning and discovered that there was a huge stain streaking down the front of the skirt. I tried to gently scrub it out (since the material is so delicate), but to no avail. I’m still not sure what happened and I was pretty sad that it was damaged because I loved that skirt. I think I still have it tucked away somewhere in case someone can one day work some magic on it.
Since then I haven’t bought another midi skirt, but I’ve decided that it would be a great piece to add to my closet now. I’m specifically looking for a swingy black version and I think it would be perfect for this late spring/early summer weather we’re experiencing right now. One of my goals this year has been to be more thoughtful with all of my clothing purchases and I always like to look on Pinterest for styling inspiration when I’m considering a new item of clothing. Right now I can picture myself wearing a midi skirt with…
– a little leather to balance the ladylike cut.
– a crop top (!?!) and denim jacket for a sweet springtime look.
– a little lace and a statement necklace.
– an eye-catching belt and strappy heels (or more likely, strappy sandals).
– leopard, because leopard goes with everything.
– a classic white silk blouse.
I hope you all have a fun Memorial Day weekend! I might take the holiday off here on the blog, but I haven’t quite decided yet. Either way, I’ll see you back here sometime next week!
Tell me: How would you wear a midi skirt?
Watch my latest video!
Shop till you drop!All material on starcrossedsmile.com is copyrighted and all photographs are taken by me unless stated otherwise. If you would like to use any of my photographs for non-commercial purposes, please credit me by linking back to my blog. Thanks! © 2010-2014 starcrossedsmile.com