It’s been about a month since I officially kicked off my fall capsule wardrobe, so I thought it was time for an update. First, let’s talk about the things I was still undecided on last time…
– I was trying to decide between my two faux leather jackets and in the end I found myself reaching for the collarless one each time. That made my decision pretty easy then- collarless one it is!
– I still haven’t picked up a gray skirt. I haven’t really been looking since I’ve been trying to avoid shopping for clothes in general, but I’m still sort of keeping one eye open. I have some holiday shopping to do over the next couple of months, so if a gray skirt catches my eye while I’m out and about, I’ll grab it.
– I decided to keep the leather skirt. I still only feel about 80% on it, but I wore it on my birthday and liked the way it looked, so I decided that it would stay for now.
So far, I have worn something outside my capsule once. I mentioned that my capsule doesn’t include heels because I really don’t wear them that often, but on my birthday I wanted to dress up a bit, so I pulled out my heeled black booties. Other than that, everything that I’ve been wearing out of the house has been from the capsule (at home I’m almost always lounging about in my PJs). Here are a few observations I’ve made in the first month of this experiment:
– It’s definitely made getting dressed in the mornings easier and about 90% of the time I feel good about my outfit. It may not be anything flashy, but I feel comfortable and like I’m decently put together. There are a few outfits that I’ve worn and didn’t feel great about, but those are learning experiences and the next time I’ll try styling those pieces differently.
– At this point, I’d say my most worn pieces are my black striped tee, black cardigan, graphic sweatshirt, black jeggings, trench coat (similar), black flats and chelsea boots. I wear my trench pretty much everyday and if I can’t figure out what to wear, I automatically reach for my Madewell sweatshirt (I’m so glad cute sweatshirts are a thing now). The black flats I’ve been wearing are actually my old black flats, not these ones. I tried to wear the new ones once, but they just felt so small. I’m not sure what’s going on- this is the second time I’ve bought flats that felt fine at the store, but were way too small when I got home.
– So far, I’ve worn everything at least once, except for the white button-down, black blazer and black dress (similar). I’ve put on the white button-down a few times, but I usually end up swapping it out for something else. It always feels a bit too buttoned up- I wish it had a more relaxed fit like my polka dot button-down. The black dress I haven’t worn yet because I’ve been too lazy to iron it (no joke, need to get on that!) and the black blazer also feels too serious most days. I want to try pairing it with sneakers and a plain tee for a casual Friday look.
– Now that the temperatures are starting to drop into the 40s and lower, I wish I had a few more sweaters in my capsule. What I might end up doing next month is swapping out a few of the lighter/sleeveless tops for sweaters. I anticipate carrying over most of these clothes into winter, so it will just be about switching things out for warmer layers and stocking up on cold-weather accessories.
Tell me: Are you still shopping for fall or have you moved on to winter?