In keeping with the theme of Wednesday’s post, I wanted to share a few holiday card ideas. I like to choose my holiday cards early so I have plenty of time to write and mail them out before Christmas. When I was younger, I always used to help my mom send out the family Christmas cards and now that I live on my own, I really enjoying sending out my own set of cards. I have a list of people that I want to send them to and I always like to have a few extras on hand in case I’ve forgotten anyone. Last year I went with custom holiday cards from Zazzle, but this year I think I’m going to purchase a set like one of the options above. If you want to participate in a holiday card exchange, Tracy and Jessica are organizing one and today is the last day to sign up!
01. Deck the Halls Paper Chains 02. Snow, Ivory 03. Merry Christmas Printable Card 04. Happy Holidays from New York 05. Snow, Snow, Snow 06. Joy to the Letterer 07. Mr. Boddington’s Studio Happy Holidays 08. Holly Wreath Evergreen 09. Peace on Earth Angel 10. Winter Bouquet 11. Ode to Joie- Gold 12. Pine Cones Banner 13. Gold Foil Peace Joy Love
Tell me: Do you send out holiday cards?
P. S. Minted also has tons of options if you’re looking to do custom cards and right now they’re doing 15% off all holiday cards with the code HAPPYHOL15.
I’m finding it hard to contain my excitement over here! If you’ve been following me for a while, you’ll know that I absolutely love this time of year. I also love putting together gift guides and today I’m kicking off my gift guide series. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be sharing at least one gift guide per week, most likely on Wednesdays. I have so many ideas that I might end up doing more than one a week! This year I’ll be switching it up a bit and grouping them by category, but all of my picks will be budget friendly. Nothing will be over $75 and most things will be much less than that amount.
Today we’re starting with ideas for the stationery lover. I love all things paper and it’s a well-known fact that I can’t say no to a pretty notebook. If you have a friend who enjoys handwriting notes and stocking her office with pretty supplies, then I think you’ll find a few good ideas here.
I hope you enjoyed this first gift guide and let me know if there are any specific categories you want to see!
Tell me: Have you started your holiday shopping or is it too early for you to even think about it?
01. Gold Stripe File Folders 02. Lucent Brass Ruler 03. Washi Tape 04. Monogram Card Set 05. Wooden Greeting Stamp Set 06. Gold Luxe Planner 07. Idiom Pencils 08. Gold Polka Dot Notebook 09. Daily Jotter 10. On the Go Notepad 11. Silver Mini Binder 12. Passport Pocket Notebooks
It’s been about a month since I officially kicked off my fall capsule wardrobe, so I thought it was time for an update. First, let’s talk about the things I was still undecided on last time…
– I was trying to decide between my two faux leather jackets and in the end I found myself reaching for the collarless one each time. That made my decision pretty easy then- collarless one it is!
– I still haven’t picked up a gray skirt. I haven’t really been looking since I’ve been trying to avoid shopping for clothes in general, but I’m still sort of keeping one eye open. I have some holiday shopping to do over the next couple of months, so if a gray skirt catches my eye while I’m out and about, I’ll grab it.
– I decided to keep the leather skirt. I still only feel about 80% on it, but I wore it on my birthday and liked the way it looked, so I decided that it would stay for now.
So far, I have worn something outside my capsule once. I mentioned that my capsule doesn’t include heels because I really don’t wear them that often, but on my birthday I wanted to dress up a bit, so I pulled out my heeled black booties. Other than that, everything that I’ve been wearing out of the house has been from the capsule (at home I’m almost always lounging about in my PJs). Here are a few observations I’ve made in the first month of this experiment:
– It’s definitely made getting dressed in the mornings easier and about 90% of the time I feel good about my outfit. It may not be anything flashy, but I feel comfortable and like I’m decently put together. There are a few outfits that I’ve worn and didn’t feel great about, but those are learning experiences and the next time I’ll try styling those pieces differently.
– At this point, I’d say my most worn pieces are my black striped tee, black cardigan, graphic sweatshirt, black jeggings, trench coat (similar), black flats and chelsea boots. I wear my trench pretty much everyday and if I can’t figure out what to wear, I automatically reach for my Madewell sweatshirt (I’m so glad cute sweatshirts are a thing now). The black flats I’ve been wearing are actually my old black flats, not these ones. I tried to wear the new ones once, but they just felt so small. I’m not sure what’s going on- this is the second time I’ve bought flats that felt fine at the store, but were way too small when I got home.
– So far, I’ve worn everything at least once, except for the white button-down, black blazer and black dress (similar). I’ve put on the white button-down a few times, but I usually end up swapping it out for something else. It always feels a bit too buttoned up- I wish it had a more relaxed fit like my polka dot button-down. The black dress I haven’t worn yet because I’ve been too lazy to iron it (no joke, need to get on that!) and the black blazer also feels too serious most days. I want to try pairing it with sneakers and a plain tee for a casual Friday look.
– Now that the temperatures are starting to drop into the 40s and lower, I wish I had a few more sweaters in my capsule. What I might end up doing next month is swapping out a few of the lighter/sleeveless tops for sweaters. I anticipate carrying over most of these clothes into winter, so it will just be about switching things out for warmer layers and stocking up on cold-weather accessories.
Tell me: Are you still shopping for fall or have you moved on to winter?
Sometime in the last few years, I became a beauty person. I still don’t wear a ton of makeup, but that doesn’t stop me from watching hours on end of beauty videos. My favorite beauty products are definitely nail polish and lipstick (I’ve come to the conclusion that you can never have too many of either). I keep a list of items I’d like to try at some point and these four picks are at the top of my list.
L’Oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Amber Rush- Sometimes I just want to go into full-on glitter mode. This color is so sparkly and pretty. I think it would be fun to use it for a holiday party look.
Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain- I’d heard a few people rave about this lip stain, so a few months ago I went and swatched this in the store. At first, I was not a fan, so I left it behind. I went back to Sephora a few weeks ago and gave it another try and my opinion of it did a complete 180. The problem was that I didn’t let it dry the first time. It starts out rather glossy, but then dries down to a lovely matte red color. Every time I see Lily Pebbles wear it, I’m like “Yep, I need this lip color in my life.” I left it behind again, but that’s only because I splurged on the next item on this list. I plan to get this eventually so I can test it out properly!
NARS Audacious Lipstick- I mentioned in my last beauty post that I picked up this lipstick in the color Charlotte. I’m still in love with it. So in love, in fact, that I want all of the other colors. Ok, maybe not all of them, but a lot of them. At $32 a pop, they’re not exactly cheap, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I picked up at least one more. I’m not sure which color yet though- I guess I’ll have to back to Sephora and swatch them all (it’s a tough job, but someone has to do it – wink wink). If I get my act together, I may pop up a Beauty Fave/review type post on this lipstick.
Urban Decay Naked Palette- I don’t own any of the Naked palettes, even though I know these are holy grail products in the beauty community. One of the first beauty products I ever bought for myself was a Sephora Collection eyeshadow palette. I haven’t used most of the colors in that palette, but I still look at that set with a certain fondness. These days I don’t usually bother with eyeshadow, but the other day I was getting glammed up for my birthday and I did the whole shebang on my eyes- eyeshadow, liner and mascara (I almost went for falsies but I was operating on a time crunch). It was really fun to play with my makeup and now I’d like to upgrade to a palette of pretty eyeshadows in colors I’d actually wear. Now the question is, which Naked Palette? Or should I go for the Lorac Pro Palette, which I’ve also seen people rave about?
Tell me: Have you tried any of these products?
Watch my latest video!
Shop till you drop!All material on starcrossedsmile.com is copyrighted and all photographs are taken by me unless stated otherwise. If you would like to use any of my photographs for non-commercial purposes, please credit me by linking back to my blog. Thanks! © 2010-2014 starcrossedsmile.com