It’s been way too long since my last FBFF post and I love this week’s questions! Today, we’re talking about the blogging community, which I touched on a little bit in this post. Let’s dive right in, shall we?
1. What blogging communities do you belong to? I belong to the big one, Independent Fashion Bloggers, which has so many great resources and tips, especially for a newbie blogger. I also belong to the awesome NYC Bloggers’ Collective which I love because it’s given me the opportunity to meet several other New York City bloggers in real life!
2. What do you think the role of community is in blogging? I think community is the best thing about blogging! When you interact with other people through blogging, it’s a great feeling to know that you’re not alone out there on the world wide web. Supporting each other in the blogging community is so important. Just as someone helped you grow by interacting with you on your blog and maybe giving advice, it’s great to pass along that knowledge and community spirit to another blogger!
3. Blog comments, twitter interactions and meaningful Facebook threads have decreased in the last several months. What are your thoughts on why that is? Hmmm, as I mentioned before, I’ve noticed that comments on blogs have generally decreased. As far as the other two platforms, Facebook and Twitter, at least for me I would say that my interactions on those networks have only increased as I became really into Twitter in the last year and created a Facebook page for my blog a few months ago. I think one possible reason for this decline is that there are now so many social networks that you can interact on! For example, I may see someone’s post on my Instagram feed and “like” their picture, but not necessarily click through to the actual blog post and leave a comment. And oh boy, the increased difficulty of CAPTCHAs has deterred me from leaving a comment many a time (not because I don’t try, but because I can’t read those darn things!) In general, I don’t think of this as a bad thing- I would rather be interacting with my readers in some fashion, than not at all!
4. How do you cultivate community around your blog? I try to cultivate community by asking questions at the end of my posts. I’m always interested in what you have to say! Also, I try to respond to every single comment left on my blog, even if it’s just a simple thank you. I want my readers to know that I read their comments, appreciate them, and will make time to comment back or respond to any questions. If it’s been a crazy week and I just can’t respond to everyone, I’ll at least try to leave a general thank you comment. Interactions via comments, twitter, or Facebook are important for building community because it makes it two-sided (as opposed to one person just talking to the air!).
5. If you could make one resolution to be a better community member what would it be? I think my resolution would be to leave more comments. When I was first started blogging, I was commenting on so many blogs a day by clicking through from other comments and I discovered some really great blogs that way. I’d love to get back into the habit of doing that!
As usual, I’d love to hear your answers to any and all of these questions in the comments! :)